Greg J. Hollon
Greg Hollon is a trial attorney at McNaul Ebel and the firm’s managing member. He has extensive experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in complicated, high-stakes commercial and business disputes, including contract, class action, legal malpractice, insurance, securities, financial services, business, franchise, and real estate matters.
Greg has litigated numerous disputes between and among shareholders and members of closely held companies and partnerships, including the prosecution and defense of numerous cases involving alleged minority shareholder oppression. He believes in aligning the firm’s and the client’s interests, and he is open to considering alternative fee arrangements—including contingent fee representation—in significant commercial disputes.
Greg has represented clients through dozens of jury trials, bench trials, and arbitrations, as well as through the appellate process, arguing numerous times before the Washington Court of Appeals and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and twice before the Washington State Supreme Court.
From 1996 to 1997, Greg clerked for the Honorable William Fremming Nielsen, then chief judge of the US District Court for the Eastern District of Washington. Greg joined McNaul Ebel as an associate in 1997, and he became a partner in 2004.
Greg has served for many years as a member of the screening committee of the Pro Bono Panel for the US District Court for the Western District of Washington. He gives presentations regularly on professional issues, including trial practice. Greg has received broad recognition, including selection to the Top 100 list of Washington Super Lawyers every year since 2012.
In his spare time, Greg enjoys mountaineering, rock climbing, skiing, fly-fishing, gardening, and raising his two daughters. He is one of several dedicated bike commuters at the firm.
Representative Cases & Matters
General Commercial and Business Litigation
- Represented seller in post-closing litigation arising out of eight-figure merger and acquisition transaction for aerospace-related company; settled case favorably prior to trial, including payment to client of seven figures of money withheld by buyer.
- Defended a franchisor in a lawsuit brought by four franchisees alleging violations of the Franchise Investment Protection Act and Consumer Protection Act. Obtained defense verdict after a three-week jury trial.
- Recovery of seven-figure damages, attorneys’ fees, and costs for claimant in arbitration over breach of earnout provision in contract for sale of an aerospace-related company.
- Defended claims by ex-CEO of regional bank for wrongful termination. After a three-week jury trial, settled case favorably on the last day of trial.
- Assisted in representation of a Division I college football coach in a jury trial for claims for wrongful termination and breach of contract; case settled prior to closing arguments after a six-week trial.
- Defended coverage and bad-faith claims against an insurance company and prosecuted cross-claims for indemnification against broker.
- Defended publicly traded company and its officers and directors against claims for breach of contract and breach of noncompetition agreement; obtained defense verdict after a multi-week jury trial.
- Represented trust in case against former trustee alleging breach of fiduciary duty and related claims.
- Representation of cryptocurrency exchange in negligence claims against cell phone provider for losses resulting from third-party hacking accomplished through cell phones.
- Prosecution and defense of various real estate litigation matters.
- Periodic representation of employers and employees with respect to obligations under non-competition contracts and related employment disputes.
Securities, Shareholder, and Closely-Held Company Disputes
- Lead counsel for claimant in FINRA arbitration in New York against clearing broker alleging breach of contract, unauthorized trading and related claims; recovered eight-figure award ($11,333,000) on behalf of claimant.
- Represented the members of an LLC in an intra-LLC dispute. After five days of arbitration, obtained an award in favor of the client, including award of attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented an LLC in a bench trial of valuation dispute under the dissenters’ rights provisions of the LLC Act.
- Represented a minority member of an LLC in arbitration of claims for minority shareholder oppression. Obtained an arbitration award in favor of client.
- Represented managing members of an LLC in arbitration alleging mismanagement and breach of fiduciary duty with alleged damages of $2 million; obtained an arbitration award in favor of respondent clients.
Class Action Defense
- Defense of owner of assisted living facilities in purported consumer class action alleging deceptive billing practices.
- Defended real estate brokerage on Whidbey Island in purported consumer class action alleging deceptive disclosures relating to airplane noise from Naval Air Station; settled matter favorably after depositions of purported class representatives.
- Represented a regional bank in a purported class action suit alleging improper overdraft fees and practices; obtained dismissal of claims.
- Represented manufacturer of PEX tubing, widely used in heating and plumbing applications, in a purported class action; obtained dismissal of all class action allegations.
Legal Malpractice Defense and Lawyer Representation
- Defended law firm in malpractice action arising out of allegedly deficient intellectual property advice. Obtained a defense verdict after multi-week jury trial.
- Represented law firm in a multimillion-dollar fee dispute; settled case favorably after obtaining summary judgment ruling granting the client law firm a seven-figure fee award.
- Defense of law firm in matter alleging eight-figure damages arising out of transactional work relating to sale of company.
- Defended a law firm in a case alleging securities-related malpractice with alleged damages in excess of $11 million.
- Defended attorney in a malpractice/breach of fiduciary duty case arising out of securities-related work with alleged damages in excess of $90 million.
- Defended a law firm in a malpractice case arising out of securities-related work with alleged damages in excess of $60 million.
- Defended a lawyer alleged to have committed litigation malpractice; obtained a defense verdict after a multi-week jury trial.
- Periodic representation of lawyers in grievances filed with the Washington State Bar Association.
Awards & Activities
- Recognized by Chambers & Partners as "Up and Coming" Commercial Litigation Counsel (2017-2018)
- Selected for Top 100 list of Washington Super Lawyers (2012–2018)
- Selected by Washington Law & Politics as a Rising Star (1999–2004) and a Super Lawyer (2005, 2010–2015)
- Identified by Seattle Magazine as one of Seattle’s Top Lawyers in the business litigation field (2007)
- Identified by Seattle Met as a Top Lawyer (2010, 2012, 2013)
- Identified by Benchmark Litigation as a Future Star (2013–2017)
- Elected as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Rated AV Preeminent (5.0-5.0) by Martindale-Hubbell
- Rated Superb (10.0/10.0) by Avvo
- Harvard Law School (JD, 1996), magna cum laude
- Stanford University (BA, 1991), with distinction and honors, Phi Beta Kappa
- Washington State, 1996
- US District Court for the Western District of Washington, 1997
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Washington, 1996
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2011
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2009