Michael P. Hatley
Michael is a litigation attorney and member of the firm’s Litigation & Trial Practice. He represents corporate and individual clients on a wide range of complex commercial litigation and insurance recovery matters.
Prior to joining McNaul, Michael litigated high-stakes commercial and insurance recovery disputes at Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht LLP and Gilbert LLP. Michael also advised clients pursuing trade and investment opportunities in Cuba for Gilbert LLP’s subsidiary, Reneo Consulting LLC, where he facilitated the first commercial import of Cuban goods to the U.S. in over fifty years.
Michael received his J.D. from The George Washington University and is admitted to practice law in New York and the District of Columbia. Before law school, Michael received an M.A. from The Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), where he focused on international law, economics, and negotiation. Michael received his B.A., summa cum laude, from Saint Louis University and obtained a Fulbright Scholar to research comparative politics in Freiburg, Germany.
Representative Cases & Matters
Commercial and Business Litigation
- Secured a favorable settlement on behalf of an investment bank seeking a wide range of rights and repayments from a group of affiliated cannabis startup entities pursuant to promissory notes, warrant agreements, investor rights agreements, and other agreements.
- Litigated on behalf of a startup M&A banker seeking recovery of its fee in connection with a nine-figure acquisition involving a major tech and media company.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of individual corporate officers in a breach of contract dispute with their former partner.
- Secured a favorable settlement on behalf of an individual in an employment dispute with a major tech company.
Policyholder Insurance Recovery
- Litigated in multiple state courts on behalf of a multinational auto parts manufacturer to obtain insurance coverage for thousands of asbestos-related claims.
- Secured a favorable settlement in favor of a class of policyholders against a major life insurance company accused of violating its policies.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a healthcare services company related to insurance coverage under an errors and omissions insurance policy.
- Secured an arbitration ruling in favor of a major egg manufacturer to obtain product contamination insurance for an adverse publicity event.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a law firm seeking coverage under an employment practices liability policy.
- Secured a favorable settlement on behalf of individual corporate officers under a directors and officers liability policy.
International Trade and Investment
- On behalf of a U.S. import/export company, structured, negotiated, and obtained the government approvals necessary to accomplish the first commercial import of Cuban goods to the United States in over half a century.
- Obtained U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) export licenses on behalf of a major multinational grocery distributor.
- Secured U.S. and Cuban government permissions for multiple performances in Cuba by major U.S. and international musicians on behalf of a U.S. concert promoter.
- Obtained U.S. Department of the Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) licensing permitting ferry travel between Florida and Cuba on behalf of a U.S. travel company.
- Represented Russian aviation company in litigation against the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) related to the blocking of funds and denial of specific license applications for the return of those funds.
Awards & Activities
- Fulbright Scholar, Germany (2005 - 2006)
- Selected by Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star" (2019-2020)
- The George Washington University Law School (JD, 2013)
- Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) (MA, 2009)
- Saint Louis University, with honors, summa cum laude (BA, 2005)
- New York, 2014
- District of Columbia, 2015
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2019
- US District Court for the District of Columbia, 2018