Jordan V. Rood
Jordan Rood is a transactional lawyer whose practice encompasses matters such as the purchase, sale and development of commercial real estate, exempt securities offerings, corporate and fund formations, mergers and acquisitions, strategic partnerships, joint ventures and reorganizations. His clients range from institutional real estate investors and pension funds to privately held businesses and venture-backed tech startups. Jordan provides counsel grounded in his training and experience in securities law as well as corporate and entity governance. His colleagues throughout the firm leverage his analysis and advice, including for cryptocurrency and civil and administrative securities matters in the firm’s Litigation & Trial Practice Group.
Jordan is an active member of the securities bar, and makes regular presentations regarding securities regulation, with a particular emphasis on transactions exempt from registration, including those under federal Rules 506(b) and 506(c) and Washington State’s crowdfunding exemption.
Prior to joining McNaul Ebel in 2015, Jordan worked as associate general counsel at the Washington State Department of Financial Institutions, Securities Division, where he provided substantive review and commentary on registered and exempt securities offerings for numerous issuers, including REITs, pooled investment funds, business development companies, and startup companies. Jordan also drafted interpretive opinions and provided counsel on federal and state securities law issues regarding securities transactions, investment advisers, broker-dealers, and franchise matters.
Jordan previously served on the Board of Directors for Washington Lawyers for the Arts.
Representative Cases & Matters
- Development of large industrial, commercial and multi-family projects for an institutional real estate investor.
- Venture capital and private equity financings involving some the world’s top institutional investment firms and prominent high net worth individuals.
- Serve as corporate counsel to several venture-backed tech startups and other private growth companies on corporate finance and governance matters.
- Purchase and sales of unique commercial properties nationwide, including a recent transaction involving a historic building located in Seattle’s Pioneer Square district.
- Reorganization of several real estate holding companies into REITs, including the private offering of securities to facilitate such transactions.
- Formation of real estate investment funds and other private pooled investment vehicles exempt under the Investment Company Act of 1940.
- Mergers and acquisitions involving the sale of private companies with several international subsidiaries.
- Advise on several high-profile securities cases involving private issuance and resales, cryptocurrency, broker-dealer, investment adviser, and regulatory compliance issues.
Awards & Activities
- Seattle University School of Law (JD, 2010), magna cum laude
- Western Washington University (MA, 2007)
- University of Washington (BA, 2004)
- Washington State, 2010